This is the integration of all transport services into a single ticket that is valid for any transport mode. This is crucial in order to promote an easy-to-understand, attractive public transport system.
Integrated fares make the whole travelling experience simpler and easier – and thus more attractive.
They make easy transfers possible, which is crucial to achieving a seamless experience.
Travellers are able to obtain tickets without knowing the distribution of their trips with each mode, so they perceive the system as more reasonable and attractive.
Integrated transport fares allow for the better coordination of fare policy and marketing.
|NODES strategic objective||Contribution|
|Enhance accessibility and integration||++|
|Increase safety and security conditions||++|
|Increase economic viability and costs efficiency||++|
|Stimulate local economy||++|
|Increase environmental efficiency||0|
|Increase energy efficiency||+|
Madrid: CRTM “Abono transportes” (multi-modal season ticket) and “Metrobús” (10 trips on any mode).
London: Travel pass and Oyster card.
Paris: Carte Orange. Navigo, etc.
And many others.
Application in NODES sites:
This tool has been evaluated by the NODES site in Toulouse.
The Toulouse team has a single medium in the Pastel card for the urban network and 7 other urban, inter-urban and regional networks. It has identified some of the issues for implementation, such as “co-ordination between the stakeholders, definition of each of their perimeters, creation of a common product, common management and co-ordinated provisions (Product Support, etc.)”.
– Crucial for the whole transport system integration and inter-modality.
– Quicker, more attractive and simple travel experience.
– Positive impact on information systems and database, which can be connected and coordinated.
– It makes possible other good practices, such as selling tickets at a single point, multi-modal spaces (waiting areas, etc.) or complementary facilities (park&ride, car sharing, etc.).
– Design and definition of the system (transport authority).
– Definition of technical specifications of the system (transport authority).
– Development of managing software (operators, commercial distributors).
– Investment in control hardware and ticketing (operators, commercial distributors).
– Attention to travellers: installation and development of this service (transport authority, operators, commercial distributors).
– Development of integrated management systems, especially between private and public operators (integrators, operators)